RESULTS. INNOVATION. VALUES. ACCOUNTABILITY.
That’s RIVA. Our employee-first approach has manifested a culture that attracts the best and brightest. By investing in people firsts, and providing a flexible work environment, our employees have higher moral, higher productivity rates, and lower turnover. At RIVA, people are our #1 priority.
High Performance Computing Specialist - NOAA NEITS PSL
Title: High Performance Computing Specialist
Location: Boulder, CO – Physical Systems Laboratory (PSL)
Terms: Full-Time (Hybrid)
Clearance: Qualified candidates must be US citizens and able to obtain a minimum of Public Trust Clearance
The Physical Sciences Laboratory (PSL) is part of the Earth System Research Laboratories (ESRL). PSL conducts research to improve observations, understanding, modeling and predictions of weather, water and climate extremes, and their related impacts. The High-Performance Computing Engineer will provide our federal client with intermediate-level systems programming and management functions for large-scale, high-performance computing systems. The incumbent will assist the client with porting and running models, analyses, and data management code on a variety of multi-CPU architectures, including a local cluster, external HPC, and cloud resources as needed.
- Work with the client’s IT and science staff to integrate and operate parallel high-performance computing systems, clusters, other systems, and peripherals.
- Provide expertise in managing and operating advanced filesystems, enterprise storage systems, visualization environments, and networks.
- Become familiar with NOAA’s RDHPCS architectures and organization and assist PSL science staff in making efficient use of NOAA RDHPCS resources.
- Assist the client’s IT and science staff team in deploying, executing, monitoring, and optimizing models, datasets, and computational workload across a variety of parallel and high-performance computing architectures.
- Provide technical assistance and consult the research staff on the use of high-performance computing platforms.
- Develop expertise in the use of cloud resources for parallel numerical computations.
- Coordinate activities between cloud engineering personnel and the client science staff.
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
- Minimum Education: BS/BA degree (Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent)
- Minimum Experience: 4 years' experience in related field
- Hands-on experience with low-latency/high-bandwidth, interconnected infrastructure (Infiniband, 10/100GigE, etc.).
- Demonstrated expertise in design configuration and planning, with excellent organization skills, and the ability to identify and resolve problems and manage performance.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Expertise with HPC system software cluster management tools, job schedulers, and other HPC tools including Slurm, Ansible, and more.
- Experience with multi-vendor management, security, and network protocols
- Knowledge of HPC storage (FC, SAS) principles, file systems (NFS, Lustre, BeegFS, ZFS, etc.), and compute node storage.
- Familiarity with shared and distributed memory parallelism (OpenMP, MPI), and accelerators (GPUs).
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, and the ability to establish strong, positive working relationships and rapport with diverse groups of team members.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with experience presenting technical topics to non-technical audiences.
- Ability to establish processes for maintaining system performance and managing best-in-class standards.
- Prior federal experience working at NOAA
- Knowledge of multi-tier application architectures: load balancers, caching, web servers, application servers, databases, and networking
- Working knowledge of one or more high-level object-oriented programming languages
- Modern server and desktop operating system administration
- Understanding of deployment techniques and tools in a distributed environment
- Experience with utilities such as Git, Bitbucket, Confluence
- Information security regulations such as FERPA, HIPPA and PCI
- Experience with IT architecture and design (on-prem and cloud)
- Security + Certification (A plus)
RIVA Solutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any protect class. If you need a reasonable accommodation to search for a job opening or to submit an online application, please email [email protected]. Only messages left for this purpose will be returned.