Linux Systems Administrator
Location: Stennis Space Center, MS, United States
Date Posted: Oct 4, 2023
Title: Linux Sys Administrator
Location: Stennis Space Center, MS
Terms: Full-Time (Hybrid)
Clearance: Qualified candidates must be US citizens and able to obtain a minimum of Public Trust Clearance
The position is for the Linux System Administrator responsible for the servers that process data from a global network of buoys, managed by the National Data Buoy Center (NDBC).
- Provide 24x7x365 on-call support for the primary IT mission essential data processing, applications, and functions to support the continuity of operations of the NDBC information system.
- Support IT architecture improvements to ensure continuity of operations for primary mission essential functions and the flow of data.
- Support the annual NDBC IT Assessment and Authorization (A&A) audits and actively execute to completion and closure of any findings to ensure NDBC maintains its Authority to Operate (ATO).
- Maintain all Linux-based servers and clients located on premises and in an AWS cloud environment.
- Follow system administration best practices.
- Patch and configure systems in compliance with NOAA security requirements.
- Upgrade operating systems in advance of end-of-support dates.
- Deploy software application updates for both COTS as well as internal applications.
- Plan and implement migration of local systems to cloud environment, where possible, in a cost-effective manner.
- Ensure reliable system and data backups.
- Manage/maintain server certificates.
- Maintain Red Hat Enterprise Linux subscriptions.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required.
- Communicate/brief upcoming maintenance efforts.
- Implement strategies to automate routine administration tasks.
- Maintain and monitor data center environmental equipment.
Education Requirements: Bachelors of Computer Science, Information Systems, or equivalent. Experience may be considered as an equivalent.
- 7 years or more experience in the installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of IT system hardware and software and related IT infrastructure.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience supporting Red Hat Linux, Apache, Tomcat, drivers, applications, vulnerabilities, security requirements and postures, quarterly STIG updates.
- An understanding of programming languages, such as Java, PHP, and Perl.
- Experience in installing and maintaining system hardware, operating systems, software systems, network systems, security systems.
- Experience applying OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrades of administrative tools and utilities; configuring, adding, and removing services as necessary.
- Experience implementing automation to streamline recurring system administration tasks is highly preferred; experience with scripting languages.
- Experience with containers is desirable.
- Able to work autonomously and take initiative in identifying areas for improvements and proposing solutions.
RIVA Solutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any protect class. If you need a reasonable accommodation to search for a job opening or to submit an online application, please email [email protected]. Only messages left for this purpose will be returned.